Congregating Swan Observation Trip

Ornithologists and experts from the Mongolian Ornithological Society (MOS) and the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), and students from the School of Biology and Biotechnology, National University of Mongolia (NUM), Ecology-Education club (EEC) and other bird watchers participated in this tour. The swan watching tour began at 8 o`clock in the morning. We departed from 2nd building of NUM and arrived in Ulziit sum at 5pm covering a 370km drive passing through the vast grasslands, mountains and lakes.

The main tour activities included watching, counting and photographing the swans as well as other species of birds gathered at the lake. In order to encompass all corners of the lake for count, all the participants divided into two groups, and handed out the telescopes and binoculars. One group went around the south side of the lake, whereas the other group went around the north side of the lake. During the count, participants also had the opportunity to photograph these swans.


Summary of the count result:

Out of all counted swans, 70% of the swans were encountered the north side of the lake and remaining 30% of the swans were counted on the south side of the lake.

677 Whooper Swan Cygnus cygnus
8 Tundra Swan Cygnus columbianus
30 Bar-headed Goose Anser indicus
89 Ruddy Shelduck Tadorna ferruginea
13 Common Shelduck Tadorna tadorna
2 Gadwall Anas strepera
35 Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
9 Grey Heron Ardea cinerea
41 Mongolian Gull Larus mongolicus
904 Total

Share This Post: