The MONGOLIAN ORNITHOLOGICAL SOCIETY (MOS) was established in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia on 19 January of 1999. The MOS is the only national bird research and conservation organization with public-service status, the oldest and largest memberships (more than 250 official members) in Mongolia. Our vision is “Conserving wild birds for people”.
Mrs. Oyungerel Ts., Minister of Culture, Sports, Tourism of Mongolia visited us during the event Birdwatchers' Day in 2012.
Support science-oriented initiatives and actions for birds
3S Save birdlife and their habitats for the future
Solve the conflicts between humans and birds
- Conduct scientific research on birds and their habitats in global scale
- Organize training on conservation of birds and their habitats in national and international level
- Train young ornithologists with high competiveness on bird and their habitats
- Consult and share information on bird and their habitats for public
- Create the national bird and their habitat database
- Help to develop and promote the legislation of birds and their habitats’ conservation collaborating with governmental organizations
- Become the best managed organization with high standard competitiveness on research, conservation, education, database, awareness and consulting of birds and their habitats
- Creative Thoughts
- High Responsibilities
- Scientific Freedom
- Tradition and Collective Actions
- New Products and Market Sensitivity
- Honest Competitiveness
- To conduct and propose international ornithological research projects in Mongolia together with Mongolian and international ornithological organizations.
- To make statements, publications and appeals to the public about research and protection of rare and endangered bird species.
- To co-control the illegal hunting of rare and endangered species of birds and work with organizations those monitor and prevent such crime-activities in Mongolia.
- To organize and participate in the international and Mongolian ornithological scientific conferences, press conferences, trainings, and seminars in Mongolia and overseas.
- To award members who actively participate in laboratory and society’s activities.
- To organize the ornithological expeditions and field trips for bird watching and bird filming with Mongolian and international eco-tourism organizations/institutions.
In collaboration with the Ornithological Laboratory of National University of Mongolia, a total of more than 30 scientific theses by bachelor, masters, and Ph.D. students were supervised by members. The society also helps collect skin, feathers, and scientific data of birds for the Zoological museum at the University. The feather collection is one of the best collections in the country.